About Helichrysum Italicum - Immortelle - Healing properties
Also called: Immortelle, Everlasting, Helichrysum italicum, curry plant…
Antic history of helichrysum italicum
Some of the first knowing uses of helichrysum italicum comes from the time of ancient Greeks. It was known for its great wound healing ability, often used after battles which were frequent in those times.
According to Homer’s epic poem, the Greek hero Odysseus suffered a shipwreck and was trapped on the island.
When he finally returned to the Phoenician coast he met the divine Nausicaa, beautiful daughter of the king.
The secret of her beauty products is extraordinary oil of the flower that never fades, even when it is picked.
According to myth, the Greek god Apollo is at the entrance to Delphi wore a tiara of special flower, which is to remind the world of his immortality.
Another legends from the near past says that Napoleon when returning by ship to Corsica could smell his island even before sighting it.
Although this is only a legends, it is known that there is a flower that does not wither, even when it is harvested.
It is an everlasting, lat. Helichrysum italicum, our domestic plant that is prevalent in the Mediterranean region, especially on sunny rockeries. Helichrysum is a typical Mediterranean plant with sweet, honey fragrance. It can usually be found to grow near other medicinal and aromatic plants like rosemary, myrtle, sage, wild carrot, mint, ruta, rockrose, fennel and others.
About Helichrysum italicum
Helichrysum italicum is a flowering plant of the daisy family Asteraceae syn. Compositae.
The word Helichrysum is derived from the Greek word helios meaning sun and chrysos meaning gold., probably because of its golden color.
[ms_pullquote align=”left” class=”” id=””]Also the name Immortelle ( Everlasting ) comes because flowers retains yellow color even when dried.[/ms_pullquote]
We would add to these that this is a very resistant plant, and we
have had cases where we found in the wild only dry branches who knows
how old immortelle, and once we provide enough light plant would be
miraculously revived again.
GC analysis – Main components:
- Diketone content: italidione
- Ester content: specifically neryl acetate
- Sesquiterpenes content: b-carophyllene and γ-curcumene
- Terpene alpha pinene.
In nature Helichrysum italicum grows on dry, rocky or sandy ground around the Mediterranean. It need lots of sun ( after all sun is in his name ). Our farm is near Mostar, city with most sunny day in Europe. Summer temperatures exceed 40 degrees Celsius.
Fully grown plants are woody at the base and can reach about 60 cm in
height. If the climate is favorable throughout the year helichrysum can
give two harvests, in June and October. Our experience so far are that
this will happen very rarely, if we want a quality essential oil,
because for oil quality immortelle must be collected at the time of full
Helichrysum plant ( essential oil ) possess anti-inflammatory,
anti-oxidant, antimicrobial, antiviral and and anti-HIV properties. This
plant is sometimes used as a spice.
Some of the Helichrysum helaing properties
Modern science these days confirms what old people have known for decades and centuries. Immortelle essential oil contains unique properties that make it an antioxidant, ananti-inflammatory, an antibacterial and antifungal.
Traditional Mediterranean medicine use helichrysum oil for centuries. Also Helichrysums are well known and popular as traditional South Africa medicine.
Its flowers and leaves are the most useful parts of the plant. There is numerous different ways preparing helichrysum to treat conditions like:
- Prevents Allergies
- Fight and lessen frequency of fevers
- Provide warmth to the respiratory system, treats cough
- Relieves Inflammation
- Promote faster healing of wounds
- Promotes Digestion ( Indigestion and Acid Reflux )
- Liver diseases
- Gallbladder disorders
- Inflammation of the muscles and joints
- Clear blood clots by liquefying/thinning them
- Fight Infections
- Protects Nervous System
- Various kind of skin disease, psoriasis etc
- Prevents Skin Dehydration
Current most popular uses are for treating wounds,scars, infections, digestive problems, helping the nervous system and heart health, and healing respiratory conditions making these plant and essential oil almost too good to be true.
Word of Caution: No toxic or irritating effects have been observed or reported from the use of this oil. But since it is anticoagulant, people who have undergone surgery or have chances of internal hemorrhaging should avoid using .
Most of its traditionally claimed applications are not yet scientifically proven, but research from day to day prove more and more healing effects of these miracle plant that nature gave to us.
How to use helichrysum oil
Helichrysum oil can be use in 3 ways:
- Aromatically: Open the bottle and take deep sniff. Also you can put three to four drops into a diffuser or into your steam bath.
- Topically: Mix helichrysum with carrier oils like coconut oil, jojoba oil, olive oil and use as a massage oil, or add to a cream or lotion, or even make your own cream or mixture.
- Internally: One drop of the oil in four ounces of liquid. Unlike some other essential oils, this essential oil can be taken internally, provided that it’s diluted like stated before.
Blending with other EO: Helichrysum essential oil blends well with Lavender, Geranium, Rose, Lime, Orange, Petit Grain, Neroli, Sage, and Ylang-Ylang oil.
Helichrysum oil recipes
Some fast usage tips
- Mix a drop or two to your favorite toner cream, or moisturizer to fight off blemishes, wrinkles and agging skin.
- Massage 1-2 drops of the oil directly onto scars.
- Place 10-20 drops in the bathwater and soak in it for at least 10 minutes. Relieve muscle and nerve pain and also helps you relax and chase away any anxiety and negativity.
- Open bottle and inhale to ease anger, frustration, sadness or other negative emotions.
- Put a few drops in diffuser to set a joyful mood.
- Inhale a drop or two from a handkerchief to ease cough, congestion or itchy throat.
Helichrysum morning and night cream
It is necessary to obtain 5 ml ( 0,67 OZ ) of helichrysum oil as well as 50 grams of beeswax and 50 grams cocoa paste. All the ingredients are submerged in one of the rectilinear vessels to melt and squeeze. Spread them until you get a compact bend, so when it becomes homogeneous, take the court out of the fire and let the mass cool. Before it starts to cling, move it to the appropriate tile or plastic tile.
Use this cream in the morning and in the evening. Apply in thin layer on face. The cream is suitable for all skin types. You will feel in a very short time that the skin is gentle, soft and smooth. Keep the cream well closed in the fridge, and its shelf life is up to 6 months.
Mix 30 ml of wild rose ( Rosa canina ) fruit oil and 8 drops of helichrysum italicum. Aply this mixture of oil on the face skin in a thin layer, just before bedtime. The skin quickly becomes brilliant and radiant.
2 drops of helichrysum essential oil
2 drops of lavender oil
1 tsp. of aloe vera
Apply this mixture on the sunburnt skin. Elixir will soothe and heal the skin at the same time.
Sign up below for newsletter and also become registered user of our site becouse we will have lots of updates regarding helichrysum info , farm growing, essential oil. We will give alsoo free samples when we have enough users for random give away. Also there will be discounts on immortelle essential oils straight from farm…